Monday 31 October 2016

An Experiment in Scale

I've had a bit of a desire in recent years to dabble in the smaller scales.  I normally play Carnage and Glory at 1:25 scale and I keep thinking....how would the dynamic of the game change with more space to work with.  At 1:100 scale My table would be the equivalent of 16 times large.  Custom terrain sculpted for a specific battlefield seems more attainable.  Terrain features can be created to look more natural vs the height of the figures.

I was inclined to 10mm and even painted a few but I did find the ranges to be too limited in variety for the painter within me.  I did paint up some Old Glory Napoleonic 10s and what I found was that the visual was about the unit and the flag rather than individual figures.  There strips of 5 figs are based very tightly in march attack pose together which gives a good impression of mass. This had a very nice look on the table. 

With the release of very well sculpted Blue Moon 18mm Figures I wondered if I could achieve a similar look to the 10's with these larger figures.  Pictures are below and mission accomplished I think.  This was a bit of an experiment but I quite like the result and can see doing more of these.  The variety is there, the detail is there, they are relatively cheap and take much less time to paint than the 28s....at least they would with some practice.

Below are the two battalions of IR 17 Regt Manteuffel, each with 3 bases of 6 figs.  This is roughly equivalent to 750 infantry per battalion.




2 comments:

  1. 6mm would be closer to the ground scale. A line looks like a line, is all I'm saying. ;-P

    ReplyDelete